I’m working on a law writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
For this assignment, imagine you are the head of research at a large urban hospital associated with a major university.
The hospital has the chance to hire a doctor who is doing ground-breaking but controversial research on the cloning of humans. Specifically, he is known for creating “spare parts” children. Here is how it works:
In a few cases where parents have had one child with a serious disease, they have used in vitro fertilization to create embryos so that they can have a second child who can act as a future, tailormade blood or bone marrow donor.
When the “spare parts” child is born, he or she will be healthy and can help his or her older brother or sister stay well on an “as-needed” basis by donating the needed blood or marrow. The potential exists to use the child to donate other organs that require a genetic match, such as kidneys.
The hospital’s Board of Trustees, comprised of doctors, lawyers, academics, and clergy, is divided on whether the hospital should hire the doctor.
Write a 4-page position paper in which you argue whether to hire the doctor or not.
As you formulate you position, you should:
- Review the the following information and video:
Annenberg Learner (2007). Three farewells: Medicine & the end of life [Video]. https://www.learner.org/series/ethics-in-america-i…
- Write your position paper as though you were making the presentation to the panel of doctors, lawyers, academics, and clergy in the video, which has the ultimate authority to accept or reject the course of action you recommend. The question is whether or not the doctor should be hired to serve on the hospital staff full-time to provide the service of creating “spare parts” children as needed.
- Support your opinion with the ethical and moral principles you have studied.
- In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Your submission should include a title page and reference page and be in 10- to 12-point font (Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman are acceptable).
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate citation style should be followed.
You should also make sure to:
- Include a title page with full name, class name, section number, and date.
- Include introductory and concluding paragraphs and demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
- Use examples to support your discussion.
- List all sources on a separate reference page at the end of your paper and cite them within the body of your paper using APA format and citation style. For more information on APA guidelines, visit Academic Tools.