I’m working on a nutrition multi-part question and need a sample draft to help me study.
Part 1: Native American Food Culture (250 words in total for the responses of questions 1-6)
1. Please read the following excerpt about Southern Native Americans and answer the corresponding questions.
native americans.pdf download see attached
a. Describe some of the hunting/gathering behaviors of Native Americans in the South (give at least two specific examples).
b. Describe at least two of the ways Southern Native Americans used and processed corn.
c. Describe at least two native cooking methods used by Southern Native Americans.
2. Watch the video at the link below and answer the corresponding questions.
Burt Wolf What We Eat 107 The Story of Corn (Links to an external site.)
a. What are the three loving sisters and how do they work in tandem with one another?
b. How is corn especially important in America today? Give at least 3 examples.
3. Makah Whaling: Please watch the video and read the article below and answering the following questions.
https://vimeo.com/16715795 (Links to an external site.)
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/makah… (Links to an external site.)
a. Do you think that Makah whaling is an important cultural tradition that the Makah should be allowed to continue? Why or why not?
b. What is your reaction (what caused an emotional response in you) regarding Makah whaling based on the video and article?
4. Read the following article and answer the corresponding question.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/frybre… (Links to an external site.)
a. Why is fry bread a complicated symbol for the Navajo?
5. Read the following articles and answer the corresponding question.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/th… (Links to an external site.)
Native American Gardener.PNG download see attached
a. Give 2 examples of work being done to preserve Native American food cultures true origins.
6.Check out this company revitalizing a traditional Native American food:
https://tanka-brand.myshopify.com/pages/about-us (Links to an external site.)
Part 2: African/African American Food Culture (250 words in total for the responses of questions 1-6)
a. Who are the Geechee and why is rice so important to them?
2. The hand that stirred the pot:Burt Wolf What We Eat 110 African Foods in America (Links to an external site.)
a. What are variety meats?
b. Describe the influence African slaves had on the diets of their owners.
(Links to an external site.)a. Who are the Hadza and how do they acquire their food? How are they different from other tribal groups?
4. African slaves/Plantation South:
5. Soul, Black Women, and Food:
b. What is the role of the black woman in the household?
c. Explain the importance of a hot breakfast?
6. Africas complicated food puzzle: https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/00000147-833e-d29e-a767-d33f5f820000?source=searchvideo (Links to an external site.)
a. What are some possible solutions to help solve issues of food security in Africa today?
b. What are some controversies surrounding current approaches to solving Africas food problems?