I’m working on a research & summaries multi-part question and need a sample draft to help me understand better.
Exam #3 Romantic Period Essays (75 points each/Maximum total = 150 Points)
Answer any two questions for a grade. Make sure to be thorough, a minimum of 500 words, in
State the number of each question and give a complete answer, with a minimum of 250 words,
for full credit in each of the two essays. Do not be brief! Incorporate your newly found
vocabulary of musical terms in explaining your essay answers.
You must use at least 3 Print sources for each answered question, one source must be our
course textbook! Check the Library Database!
All of the essay responses should be in your own words and the use of quotations from reliable sources.
You should cite references in your text and include a bibliography at the end of your paper.
Please use the MLA style for your essay. The library will be a good resource and starting place
for gathering information. See a list of references in the Scavenger Hunt document and at the
bottom of this exam.
Submit your work through the class D2Learn Email labeled Exam #3 Essays.
As always, contact me online if you have any questions!
Do not send your work only as an attachment; submit the answers as text in the email!
Remember that your answers are dealing with the Romantic Music Period!
The Due Date is 3/29/21 by 11:30PM. All Late papers will be penalized by 10%!
1) How did the music of the nineteenth century reflect the Romantic Period composers desire for a closer union between music and the other arts? Cite at least two musical compositions.
Mention a composer, by name, and a musical composition, by title, for each composition cited
in your answer. Be very clear as to explaining your reason for choosing those related
“works of art”! Make the direct connect between them as clear as possible!
2) Explain the expansion of Tone Color in the Symphonic Orchestra during the Romantic period. Cite specific instruments and performance practices, conventional or otherwise, that have been utilized within a composition. Cite at least “two different types” of composition; for example a Symphony and an Opera.
Mention a composer, by name, and a composition, by title, for each type of composition in your
- What is “Nationalism”, give a creditable definition, and how is it used in the Romantic music period? Describe how a composer can express Nationalism in musical compositions. Give two examples of musical Nationalism in the romantic period by citing a composer, by name, and a composition, by title, for each composition in both of your examples. How do these compositions relate to this topic?
4) What is “Program Music” and how is it used in the Romantic music period?How does Program Music differ from Absolute Music? Define both types of Music. Compare and contrast these differences. Cite the four different types of programmatic music; as well as, an example of a composer, by name, and a composition, by title, for each of the four different types of Romantic Period Programmatic Music in your answers, according to our Textbook.
5) Compare and contrast the attitude toward composition of the Romantic Period and the Pre-Romantic music period composers. Include how a composers musical training or familys occupation played a role in helping each composer achieve a successful outcome.
Mention a composer, by name, and a composition, by title, for each of these two stylistic
periods chosen in your answer.
6) Describe the characteristics of verismo opera in the Romantic music period.
Where and how did it become evident in the Romantic music period, where did it appear and
why? In the contemporary period, today, would this type storyline be relevant? Explain your answer.
Remember to define the verismo style of Opera and cite a composer, by name, and a composition, by title, in the explanation of your answer.
Do an alternate reading for all the above items in other sources, including Print materials and
Also see the “Links” in the Tools menu bar of our class D2L page!
The library will be of great value to you in your research and answers to the above exam
Print and Reference materials:
New Groves Dictionary of Music and Musicians
The Norton/Grove Concise Encyclopedia of Music The New Harvard Dictionary of Music
Other sites to check beyond WIKIPEDIA online are:
Romantic Period Music History: https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Romanti…
Information on the Baroque Music period. http://www.baroquemusic.org/