I’m working on a english case study and need an explanation to help me study.
Vocabulary games are one way to promote engagement and motivation for students while they practice their standards-based literacy skills. Vocabulary games require purpose and thoughtful planning to be effective.
Choose a story excerpt from “Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects” and review “Case Scenario: Jacob” to inform this assignment.
Part 1: Vocabulary Game
Create a small group vocabulary game aligned to one or more research-based strategies that meets Jacob’s needs. Incorporate a minimum of 10 vocabulary words from a story excerpt of your choice within your game.
Use the “Vocabulary Strategies” template to address the aspects of the game.
- The story excerpt chosen and vocabulary words with grade level appropriate definitions.
- Rules of the game, to include the roles of both teacher and students.
- How to expand the game to include higher-level thinking.
- Two accommodations/modifications, one for English Language Learners (ELLs) and one for a student with special needs, specifying their needs.
Part 2: Rationale
In 250-500 words, write a rationale to address the following:
- How does the vocabulary game implement one or more research-based strategy to support students’ vocabulary development?
- How does the game help to engage and motivate the students?
- How does the game help Jacob achieve his learning goal?
Support your findings with 2-3 scholarly sources.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Read Chapter 7.
Read “Vocabulary,” located on the Reading Rockets website.
Read pages 29-39 in “Put Reading First: The Research Building Blocks for Teaching Children to Read,” by Armbruster et al., located on the National Institute for Literacy website.
Read pages 23-27 in “The National Reading Panel Report: Practical Advice for Teachers,” by Shanahan, located on the ERIC website.
Read “Effective Strategies for Teaching Vocabulary,” located on the K12 Reader website (2018).
Review 3-5 videos from “Featured Teaching Vocabulary Videos,” located on the Reading Rockets website (2018).
Read page 72, from “Peru”, by Ruurs, located on the Common Core State Standards website to inform the topic assignment.
Use “Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects” to complete the assignment.