I’m working on a communications writing question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
For this assignment, you will analyze your interactions with significant others in your daily/real-time life. This assignment will focus exclusively on the CURRENT dynamics of your relationships. Examples should be in real-time, that is—occurring during this semester/while you are enrolled in the class.
Assignment prep and set-up: Read the designated chapters for the week before you start this assignment.
- This assignment will have two total paragraphs, one for each chapter being addressed.
- Start each paragraph with the chapter number. Example: Chapter 1
- Each paragraph should be at least 200 words in length. (400 words total)
- This assignment requires that you speak in the first person, that is using “I” and “me.”
- Do not include the prompt/questions in your post.
- Yes, spelling and grammar count, so proofread before you post!
Content: The content of your paragraphs should be clearly connected to the chapter reading/topic. Outside sources are not acceptable.
Each of your paragraphs should include the following information. Do not put the questions into your post:
- Choose a term or concept from the chapter that you can relate to, based on your real-life interactions. [you must choose 1 term from each designated chapter] ( the book will be attached)
- Define the term or concept in one or two sentences. Be sure and cite the page number and chapter number of the definition from the textbook. Example: (Chapter 1, p. 23)
- Next, provide a detailed example of the term or concept from your life/significant relationship.
- Include examples of the verbal and nonverbal elements of the conversations, the perceived outcome of the interaction (needs met, frustration, confusion, etc.), and an assessment of the effectiveness of the interaction (effective or ineffective).
- If you feel you effectively communicated with your significant other, provide information about what made it work—what you did—and why you did it.
- If you feel the communication was ineffective, provide suggestions for improving future interactions.
- Finish the paragraph up with one piece of advice for effectively communicating with the significant people in your life based on your analysis and textbook readings.
- Here is an example of what I am looking for in the Chapter 1 body paragraph of the RCJ assignment. This example is adapted from a scene from the film The Pursuit of Happyness: I observed an example of reflected appraisal between me and my Dad. Reflected appraisal is defined as the fact that each of us develops a self-concept that reflects the way we believe significant others see us (Chapter 3, p. 106). My Dad and I were playing basketball last weekend. After I made the shot, I stopped to tell my Dad that I wanted to play in the WNBA. My Dad responded by telling me that he himself was not a good basketball player and that I would probably not be any good either. My Dad also said that I should think about doing something else other than playing pro-ball. I really did not want to play for a while after that. The initial communication between me and my Dad is not effective. I was excited about my dream to play in the WNBA and my Dad shut my dream down. It made me not want to talk to my Dad about my dreams and goals. A couple of days later, I think he realized the impact of his words because he told me to never let anyone, not even me tell you what you can do. My Dads initial negative message resulted in me feeling bad for telling him my goal. However, when my Dad turned that message into a positive one, it allowed me to feel more confident in myself and my skills.