I’m working on a management discussion question and need an explanation to help me learn.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 1 of your textbook. On the Internet, find the most recent quarterly sales, comparable sales, financial report, or any other data set for a corporation that you work at now or have worked in the past, or an organization you are familiar with.
For example, view Walmart’s Financial Information: Annual Reports & Proxies (Links to an external site.) page to the find the comparable store sales for Walmart. Note: The Walmart Financial Information page is just an example. You will need to find your own company to research, searching for the most recent data.
In your post, examine three different data points from the data set. Be sure to include the URL of the website you are considering.
For the data points you selected, address each of the following:
- Indicate the name of the data for each data point and the information associated with the data. Copy and paste the three selected data points in your post.
- Explain whether the variable is cross-sectional or time series.
- Explain whether the type is quantitative or categorical. If quantitative, give the unit of measurement.
- What are the important factors in the dataset? How would you plan to handle the missing data if there are some in the report?
- Explain the value of the data. Who might find this useful? Why
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 2 of your textbook. Data visualization is the first step in communicating and displaying the results of data analysis. Commonly known data visualization techniques are tables and charts. Visualization techniques are selected based on the information that must be conveyed to the users. In your discussion,
- Categorize situations where tables are a preferred visualization technique. Illustrate with an example.
- Choose five different charting techniques that are available for visualization and compare. Explain why some are not suitable for displaying data and why others are more effective for data displays.
- Explain Simpson’s paradox and provide an example different from the one listed in your textbook.
Guided Response: Your initial response should be a minimum of 300 words for each discussion in length. Respond to at least two of your classmates by commenting on their posts. Do you agree with their visualization comparisons? Why or why not? Though two replies are the basic expectation for class discussions, for deeper engagement and learning you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have given to you. Continuing to engage with peers and the instructor will further the conversation and provide you with opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real-world experiences with the discussion topics.