I’m working on a chemistry discussion question and need an explanation to help me study.
Choose a subtopic that falls under Concentration or Solubility and write a discussion. Some possibilities are given below, but you can choose your own.
- Find instances where concentration plays an important factor in your life. Some examples are below.
- Open and look over the water https://hwd.com/water-quality-reports/ Choose a drinking water contaminant and research its potential hazards (this will probably need internet search). Provide information about the the concentration(s) measured in the drinking water and how it compares with safety standards.
- Read about the different types of https://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants Choose one and familiarize yourself with thehttps://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants/naaqs-… Look up the potential hazards of the pollutant (this will probably need internet search). Find a resource that provides information about local air pollution using the units for concentration provided for the recommended standards. For example, searching for san diego ozone ppm gave a https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/data-wat…
- Read the https://www.poison.org/articles/simpler-acetaminop…about changes made to infant and children’s Tylenol. Also, read the first few 3 paragraphs and Discussion of the journal articlehttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC34470…. What range is the theraputic concentration of acetaminophen? What are the health risks of acetaminophen overdose?
- Sometimes you get blood work done when get a physical from a doctor. Consider one blood factor (like blood cell count, hemoglobin, HDL, LDL) and describe the normal concentration for substance in a healthy individual. What might be the cause of a concentration that is too high or too low or what are risks of having a concentration that is too high or too low?
- Read about limnic eruptions. The Lake Nyos disaster is a good example. How are Henry’s law and supersaturation responsible? Provide some reasonable estimates for solubility of the responsible gas at different temperatures or different pressures.
- There is one heavy metal that is of particular concern. Look up the solubilities of salts (ionic compounds) that contain a heavy metal ion at various temperatures. Make sure you find a resource that provides the units for these solubilities. Find online resources from a reputable source that provides information about the hazards for exposure and/or guidelines that address limiting exposure.
- How does thermal pollution affect the solubility of dissolved gases like oxygen? How does thermal pollution affect ecosystems? https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/oxygen-solubili… (On the website, read Note!)
In your post, include the following:
- The topic you chose
- A discussion of the topic that includes quantitative analysis of concentration or solubility that includes units
- What you found interesting or what was unexpected or why you chose the topic
- At least 2 references (other than the ones provided) from which you obtained your information
- Clearly indicates the topic
- Discusses the topic in the context of a quantitative comparison of concentration or solubility Appropriate units for concentration or solubility are presented in the quantitative analysis
- Provides something interesting or unexpected or explains why the topic was chosen
- Provides 2 references