Watch the above videos. Once you have done this respond to the questions below. To receive full credit, please reply with a minimum of 4-5 sentences in length to each bullet point below (including when replying to 2 of your peers).
- What factors contributed to the stagflation of the 1970s?
- How did Volker deal with the high inflation?
- Did high oil prices cause the stagflation or was it something else?
- Is the Fed independent? If so, how do our leaders ensure they maintain the best interests of the public?
- How does Milton Friedman establish his view that inflation is a monetary issue?
- According to Friedman, do trade unions cause inflation by pushing up wages and the cost of production?
- After you post your narrative, reply to at least two other student’s comments. Explain why you agree, or better yet, find others that take a different position and explain why you disagree.