You work part-time at the customer service desk at a home improvement store in your suburban town. It is late September and in walks a man who firmly but politely presents his receipt and insists on returning the barbecue he bought in June for a full refund. He explains, it does not work as well as it should. For your part, it is clear that this man bought the barbecue to enjoy summertime grilling, and now that the summer is over, he no longer needs the barbecue at least until next summer. Your companys policy is to take back any product within 90 days or purchase with a receipt and within one year if the product is defective. What do you do?
- What is your immediate reaction to the scenario? How would you feel if you were the person this situation was about?
- How could this situation have been avoided?
- What approaches to resolving this conflict are appropriate?
- What are some things that, if done, would make this approach successful?
- What are some things to avoid when attempting to resolve this conflict? Why?